Tuesday, October 4, 2011

City of Gold

Over the weekend, I got in touch with the city of Johannesburg. It's safe to say there's plenty of gold.
 
After living in a small town for 5 years, I thought I would have to come back to Joburg and conform to the club scene or preferably stay at home. Going to clubs brings tears to my eyes: the only pair of heels I have hurts. I can't jerk, dougie or pop and lock. I certainly don't have R60 to pay for a drink and the attitude of club- goers stinks! Guys will push in front of you and girls will stare you down for chipped nail polish (-it was just that one time).
 
So my friend Steph and I went on a little search for something more hippie- chic and less 6- inch heels.
 
We paid a visit to the much talked about NeighbourGoods Market on Juta Street. There were cakes that looked like edible ornaments, sweet and savoury crepes, Spanish paella, homemade lemonade, flavoured brews, organic vegetables, fresh flowers, vintage clothing and I had a refreshing pineapple mojito that tickled my taste buds.   

Rochelle's edible ornaments

Assortment of fresh vegetables

Goat cheese samples and we are all about sampling!
Just a hop and a skip from the market is 70 Juta Street design hub. Historically, Braamfontein used to be part of Joburgs thriving business district. Over the years it lost its popularity as companies moved north. The area has recently been revamped and is shedding its seedy reputation. Totally worth the visit if you’re looking to define what South African design is about.
70 Juta Street. Photograph from property24.com
Over the Nelson Mandela Bridge is Newtown. It's the location of Museum Africa where we went for a book launch and reading session. Chicago author, Yorli Huff shared a few passages from her memoir titled ‘Veil of Victory’. Yorli went from a difficult childhood to working undercover as a Special Drug Agent. Parallel to this, was a dysfunctional marriage as well as racism and discrimination in the work place.  Everyday has been a challenge to triumph over adversity. The book has been described in many ways but to me this is a story about how the scorn and strength of a woman is something to be feared and admired. 
Available at Xarra Books @Constitution Hill

Music duo at the book launch

Steph and sculpture outside the Market Theatre
To round off the day, we went to our usual chill spot on 4th Avenue Parkhurst. It often feels like I'm in happyville when I go there. People walking their dogs, young couples showing off their first kid and old couples rekindling their love. A few weeks ago we went to a restaurant in the area that doesn't take cards. We were short of R20 and the manager allowed us to settle the bill the next day- no fuss! I love this city :)
4th Avenue Parkhurst

1 comment:

  1. I have ‘Veil of Victory’, will get to reading it soon and I am so looking forward to it
    .

    ReplyDelete